Your step-by-step guide to explain the STP process:
On marketing your audience is the main way to achieve your business goal, so you have to pay attention to reach the meant audience. Knowing your audience is not an easy process, STP model importance lies on make it easy by using many stages to determine the target segment and company’s priorities, understand the nature of the audience to communicate with them easily, and develop plans for the provided service or product.
What are STP model stages?
- Step1 Strategy or Objectives:
- Company’s mission/objective.
- Company’s current situation (SWOT).
- Step 2 Segmentation Method:
- Geographic: Country, city, language, or co-presence. Consumers organized on the basis of where they live.
- Demographic: Age, gender, income.
- Psychographic: Lifestyle, self-concept, self-values. • Consumers organized on the basis of lifestyle and values.
- Benefits: Convenience, economy, prestige.
- Behavioral: Occasion, loyalty. Consumers organized on the basis of how they use the product/service.
- Step 1 Evaluate Segment Attractiveness:
- Who is in their market?
- Are the segments unique?
- Does each segment require a unique marketing mix?
- Too small and it is insignificant – can you create an effective message to reach the segment in question?
- Too big and it may be impossible to craft a message that resonates equally with all the members of your chosen “segment”!
- Effective segmentation is critical, even if your product has a general market appeal.
- Know the product exists.
- Understand what it can do.
- Recognize how to buy.
Customers in each segment must:
- React positively to company’s offer.
- Accept the Benefits to be received from a product or service.
- Trust your company.
- Step 2 Selecting a Target Market:
- Salient attributes.
With S you can segment the market into a set of categories, which have similar specifications and needs. Therefore, you can work to satisfy these needs through your product.
With T you can determine the size of the segment that you will target as a company and providing it with the services or products.
With P you can make a strategy for Products or Brands and determining how to display and position the brand in the targeted market with the competitive advantage that distinguishes the brands from the competitors.